Australian Crews sanctioned for last-gasp attempt at Rio qualification

Rowing Australia will give their men’s and women’s eight crews a final chance to qualify for the Rio Olympics by sending them to the Lucerne qualification regatta.

Both crews failed to automatically qualify through the world championships last year but selectors said they had met the grade to push for a spot at the “Regatta of Death” in Lucerne, Switzerland, in May.

Rhys Grant will try to qualify in the men’s single scull and Hannah Every-Hall and Georgia Nesbitt will compete in the women’s lightweight double while the men’s lightweight four didn’t meet the required standard to get a crack at qualification.

Rowing Australia on Friday named squads of 12 rowers in both events with that to be cut down in a month to the competing eight.

Head coach Chris O’Brien said they decided it was worth taking some extra time to ensure they got the best possible combination.

“We’d rather make a good decision than hurry for the sake of making a decision,” O’Brien said.

“We could have established an eight now but possibly wouldn’t have hit our standards to actually do the job of qualifying”.

Australia has had a men’s eight crew at every Olympics since 1948 and have won six medals.

Both men’s and women’s crews must finish top two in Lucerne.

Source – http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/02/19/australian-rowers-given-late-loiy-chance

Tom Morgan

Previous editor of Row360, publisher of Junior Rowing News, freelance writer for the Daily Telegraph, the Huffington Post, Vital Football and others. Student at the University of Southampton.

You May Also Like